The Certosa di Pontignano
Built in the 14th century for the purpose of creating a peaceful sanctuary for the Carthusian monks, the monastery went through numerous structual changes over the centuries. By 1939, the property was passed on through several private owners eventually becoming the property of the Certosa di Pontignano company, one of whose shareholders was Professor Mario Bracci of the University of Siena.
During WWII, the Certosa di Pontignano was a place of refuge for Jews and victims of political persecution. In 1959 the complex was purchased by the University of Siena, which then turned it into a university residence. Today the property is fully renovated, and with its first class facilities, exquisite location and absolute tranquility, the University of Siena hosts year-round conferences.
From outside the Certosa, it is difficult to imagine the beauty and charm of the cloisters within. The entrance nest to the reception leads to the wide loggias of the main cloister, around which are the entrances to the dining room, the single and double guest rooms, the deluxe rooms in the Villa portion and the church.
The cell cloister is larger, with slightly narrower loggias with doors opening into the former cells of the monks, which have been renovated and converted into apartments. Both of the main cloisters have wells in the center. There are also two small cloisters in the centre of the Certosa – one connecting the two main cloisters and another that is only visible from the rooms of the church administration.
A vast Italian garden is in the rear, overlooking Siena. The property includes vineyards, olive groves, a small woods, fields, and an old cemetery. Within the structure of the Certosa, Sala Caratelli is open 7 am to 12 midnight, offering all participants access to computers, printers and internet for personal research and correspondence. A television room is designated for featuring evening art documentaries and Italian films, while a separate closed room is dedicated to evening figure drawing sessions. As guests of the Certosa di Pontignano, all participants must show the utmost respect to its facilities, rooms, furniture, grounds and staff.
The direct telephone for the Certosa di Pontignano is +39 (country code) 0577 (city code, always needed) 35471. The Reception will direct the call to the appropriate person. Fax no: +39 0577354777.
Certosa di Pontignano
Castelnuovo B.GA (Siena)